About the Diocese
The Diocese of Gloucester is part of the Church of England and covers most of Gloucestershire, as well as parts of neighboring counties. It is home to about 600 thousand people.
It ranges from small rural communities to the urban centres of Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud, and also includes market towns such as Cirencester and Stow-on-the-Wold. The main geographic areas are the Cotswolds running north to south through the diocese, the Forest of Dean in the west and between them the Vale of Severn. Each of these areas has its own distinctive character.
At the centre of the diocese, in the county town of Gloucester, stands the Cathedral Church of St Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity. Originally founded as the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter in 679 the Abbey church became Gloucester Cathedral in 1541. Gloucester is particularly famous for being one of the earliest buildings to adopt the quintessentially English Perpendicular Style of Gothic Architecture in the 1330s. Visit the Cathedral website to find out more.
The diocese is led by the Right Reverend Michael Perham, the 40th Bishop of Gloucester, supported by the Bishop of Tewkesbury.
In the diocese our communities are served by some 327 parishes, 390 churches, 115 primary schools, a secondary academy and five affiliated secondary schools.
To find out more contact
Tel: 01452 410022
| Printable Version|