The Parish Giving Scheme (PGS) has been set up to help parishes in the Diocese of Gloucester best manage their regular donations. It is a centrally run professional donation system developed within the Diocese of Gloucester which seeks to provide an effective regular donation management system for our parishes.
Visit the Parish Giving Scheme website
Donations can be made on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis by Direct Debit using a PGS gift form. Even though the donations are made to the PGS, donations are restricted to the parish chosen by the donor and can not be used elsewhere.
The donation, including any Gift Aid, will be passed back to the parish of the donors choosing within ten days of collection.
The unique feature of the scheme is the option for the donor to commit in principle to increase their gift annually in line with inflation. Whilst this is a voluntary decision, it is one that could potentially have a huge impact on the life and future of the church.
If you currently donate by this method and wish to review your giving or have another enquiry please contact the PGS team either by emailing: email@example.com or call 01452 835595 alternatively write to:
Parish Giving Scheme
In all correspondence please provide your PGS reference number. This number is located under the address on any written correspondence from the PGS team.
How it works
The illustration below is based on an example gift of £40 a month
The main beneficiaries of this scheme are the recipient parishes; as it helps to take away a burden of administrative work from the parish volunteers; and the generous donors who benefit from a professional and flexible service.
There are two unique features to this scheme:
- The (popular) option for the donors to commit in principle to increase their gift in line with inflation annually. Static regular giving is a big concern for most parishes, if giving doesn’t keep inline with inflation, a parish can easily find a gap develop between income and expenditure.
- The PGS pre-pays the Gift Aid to the parish along with the gross donation (i.e. in advance of the PGS receiving it from HMRC; a process which would normally take four weeks)
Once an individual signs up to the PGS they receive a letter confirming their details and welcoming them to the scheme. Donors who have requested to increase their giving annually inline with inflation will then receive a letter one month before the anniversary of their first gift informing them of their soon to be inflated amount (giving them the option to vary it at this point).
Here are three examples of typical gifts given during 2012 and the impact inflation proofing can have
(RPI January 2012 = 3.9%)
|Frequency of gift||Initial gift||Increase inline with RPI – 3.9%||Increased amount||An extra…|
|Monthly||£ 40||3.9%||£ 41.56||£ 1.56 a month|
|Quarterly||£ 150||3.9%||£ 155.85||£ 5.85 a quarter|
|Annual||£ 500||3.9%||£ 519.50||£ 19.50 a year|
Whilst most people feel this extra is manageable and question what impact could it make, look at the impact for the church when more and more say YES to inflation-proofing their giving:
|Frequency of gift||Initial gift||Annual value to the church including RPI increase||Total if 30 donors said YES||An extra…|
|Monthly||£ 40||£ 498.72||£ 14,961||£ 561|
|Quarterly||£ 150||£ 623.40||£ 18,702||£ 702|
|Annual||£ 500||£ 519.50||£ 15,585||£ 585|
By offering this scheme in a parish and through donors’ generous commitments, churches can be assured of a regular, tax efficient source of income which has the capacity to increase with the cost of living, yet involves virtually no administration. With the help of the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS), donors benefit from a system that is secure, confidential and easy to use, while supporting the Church today and for the future.
Other benefits in offering the scheme include:
- The scheme is delivered locally (parish), but administered centrally (diocese)
- It is available to all parishes within the Diocese of Gloucester
- All size of gifts are gratefully received however large or small the amount
- It can sit alongside other ways to give e.g. envelopes/standing orders etc.
- The prompt return of Gift Aid improves parish cash flow and reduces parish administration
- Parishes are sent a monthly statement with a detailed breakdown of each gift given
- Donors can opt to remain anonymous to their parish an additional comfort feature for some.
- Direct Debit offers greater flexibility with regards to managing giving; increases and decreases can be made easily.
- The PGS is complimentary to any stewardship programme both at the point it is introduced and in subsequent years.
A range of resources have been created specifically to help parishes introduce this new method of giving. To find out more about the resources available to introduce the scheme to your parish, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01452 835595.
The introduction of the PGS to a parish provides an excellent opportunity to talk openly and honestly about funding the Church and proportional giving. In the Diocese of Gloucester an introductory series of materials called “Giving for Life” have been produced which has been very well received by parishes and has enabled significant increases in giving levels.