On 10 October 2019, the government announced that Colin Bloom had been appointed as the Faith Engagement Adviser at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
As Faith Engagement Adviser, Colin is leading a review into how best the government should engage with faith groups in England. He will make recommendations to the Communities Secretary about how the government can best celebrate and support the contribution of faith groups, break down barriers and promote acceptance between faiths, and promote shared values while tackling cultures and practices that are harmful.
Colin Bloom’s initial proposal is to structure the review around 4 main sections:
- the first section asks the question, “Are faith groups, places of worship and people of faith a force for good in society?”
- the second section explores the extent to which government and its agencies have sufficient faith literacy and considers the partnership between faith groups and the State
- the third section looks at some aspects where harm might be caused through religious or faith-based practices and a review of the government’s role in tackling them
- the fourth and final section will be a set of recommendations for the government to consider and respond to
The call for evidence will pose a series of questions around how those of all faiths, or none, perceive the government’s engagement with faith groups. Because the review is specifically about faith and religion, priority will be given to responses that fit within those parameters. However, space is given for respondents to share their views in a way that they feel is appropriate.
Respondents should feel free to make use of a range of sources, reports, case studies, surveys or even personal anecdotes to underpin their points where a general response is requested.
If you require any support, or find any questions within the call for evidence upsetting please consider contacting a support helpline:
- Samaritans: 116 123
- CALM for men 5pm to midnight: 0800 58 58 58
- Papyrus 9am to midnight: 0800 068 41 41 or text 07860 039967
- Childline: 0800 1111
- Forced Marriage Unit: 020 7008 0151
To get involved and respond to this call for evidence visit the link or respond by speaking from a place of hope and faith via the online form.
This call for evidence aims to collect views to underpin the Faith Engagement Review, and will run for a period of 4 weeks.
This consultation closes at