During Advent, getting some time to reflect, rest and be restored is so vital to enjoying the holiday period. Churches across the diocese will be offering a range of different services and events including:
- Christingle, a service where you decorate an orange with sweets and ribbons to think about Christian themes
- 9 Lessons and Carols (a church service made up of singing and reading from the Bible)
- Crib services with a dramatic retelling of the Christmas story
- Christmas tree and crib festivals
- Midnight mass, a late-night church service, starting around 11.30 pm.
From Christmas Eve through to the Epiphany on 6 January, the national Church will be sharing At the heart of Christmas: 12 days of stories and meditations for Christmas. On each of the 12 days, a different person will share something that lies close to the heart of Christmas for them, bringing the theme to life through a mixture of personal story, Bible reading, reflection and questions to ponder. You can download the At the heart of Christmas app via the Church of England website from late November.
On each Sunday of Advent there will be an online service broadcast on the Church of England’s YouTube channel
Visit A Church Near You to find details of Christmas services and events in your area. Your local church would be delighted to welcome you along to celebrate!