- This event has passed.
13/10/2018, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Location: The Welcome Centre, 47 Parkside, Coventry, CV1 2HG
Through key note speakers, case studies and workshops, the 2018 Germinate Conference will explore what it means for rural Christians to do more than belong to their churches and communities. Both inspiring and practical, the day will bring together individuals, churches, agencies and networks involved in rural mission and ministry.
The Rt Revd Dr David Walker, Bishop of Manchester
Bishop David is the President of the Rural Theology Association, Bishop of Manchester and the author of God’s Belongers: How people engage with God today and how the church can help.
Revd Claire Maxim, CEO, Germinate
Claire is Germinate’s new CEO. Formally a rural rector, with a business and engineering background, she brings a wealth and breadth of experience of what it means to belong in and to a variety of contexts.
You can find video and audio from the 2016 conference here.
Choose two of the following seven workshops when you book your tickets:
- Open Welcome: using our buildings for mission (Elizabeth Clark) What do our buildings say about us? How can we ensure that out church buildings are open and how can we use them to tell the story of faith?
- Rural Fresh Expressions: beginning with listening (Sally Gaze, Simon Mattholie, Pete Atkins) How might we rediscover the value of mission as a dialogue, listening to both culture and God, in order to understand what is the good news for our rural communities? In this session Sally Gaze and others share examples of listening in mission to draw some key point of learning to help us missionally engage in our local rural context.
- Making the most of Rural Mission Sunday (Louise Davis) Rural Mission Sunday is an opportunity to celebrate the rural church and encourage opportunities to share faith. This workshop will share both stories and practical tips on how to do it well
- Effective Church Communications (Jo Swinney, CPO) How to communicate successfully with your rural community. Come and explore how to get your message across to the people you want to hear it.
- Shared Ministry: the Cumbria story (Richard Teal, Chair of Cumbria Methodist District) How can we really work together and share ordained ministry across denominations? Come and hear about the experiences of the Methodist Church, Church of England and the United Reformed Church in Cumbria and how they to work ecumenically.
- Discerning Gifts: facilitating shared ministry (Matthew Reed, Appreciating Church; Fiona Thomas, URC) How can we help members of our congregations to discern their gifts? A team from Appreciating Church will help us to look at discerning and nurturing gifts across congregations.
- Discipleship in Messy Church (Messy Church Team) Discover more about building a Christ-centred community with a focus on forming new disciples, deepening discipleship and how Holy Communion can form part of Messy Church.
If you are staying locally the night before the conference, join us for a meal and networking event.
Friday 12 October 2018, 7pm (for 7.30pm)
Ramada Hotel, The Butts, Coventry CV1 3GG
Select both a conference ticket AND an ‘Optional Pre-conference Dinner’ ticket when you book.