Or write to: The Secretary
Diocese of Gloucester LIFE Development Fund
- Gloucester Cathedral ‘Beacon of Hope’ Appealon 29/09/2020 at 2:23 pm
- New debt centre planned for Gloucesteron 07/07/2020 at 9:39 am
- Life Development Fund: feedbackon 10/02/2020 at 4:25 pm
- Heading up Gloucestershire Credit Unionon 12/07/2019 at 10:17 am
- Life Development Fund celebration eventon 17/07/2018 at 3:48 pm
Guidance notes and forms are available here:
Project risks pro forma
LIFE Development Fund applications and HR
(As above, but a Word doc)
Bank Details Form
Organisation Information Sheet
Outcomes Activites and Targets Guidance
Outcomes Activities and Targets Form
Please contact us using the details above to make an application.
Grants are considered for revenue projects, with grants usually awarded for between one and three years. Capital costs are not normally funded, although they may be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Applications for grants of up to £3,000 should apply, if eligible, to the Mission Grant Scheme, through the Department of Mission and Ministry.
Covid-19 update: the LIFE Development Fund Committee met in May 2020 and agreed to award some emergency funding to projects in need of financial support. Members agreed that they will continue to consider new applications at their meetings, whilst continuing to review existing projects and considering further emergency funding for them if required.
In February 2015, Bishop’s Council approved the launch of the new Diocesan Development Fund to support the work of churches and communities across the diocese.
The assets of the Fund, which include the proceeds from the sale of Glenfall House, enable it to make grants of up to £400,000 p.a. for at least 10 years.
Following an open recruitment process, eight Stewards were originally appointed by Bishop’s Council to oversee the work of the Fund. The first grants were awarded in November 2015. From January 2019, the new LIFE Development Fund Committee (a sub-committee of Bishop’s Council) oversees the Fund and awards grants.
Applications are received based on the four key strands of the LIFE vision. We are keen to support projects which are innovative and collaborative. Applicants are therefore encouraged to research what others are doing locally, regionally and nationally, and to explore the potential for partnering with other churches or community groups, before submitting an application.
Role of the Secretary:
- to provide support and advice to applicants during the application process
- to plan and prepare for LIFE Development Fund Committee meetings, and prepare and circulate papers before the meeting and minutes after the meeting
- to notify applicants of the outcome of their application and provide them with support for the next steps of the process
- to monitor spend from the annual budget, and keep financial records
- to provide an annual review to Bishop’s Council of how the Fund has been spent
- to keep Diocesan staff informed of activity from the Fund
- to work with the Communications team to make sure that stories are shared of the difference funding has made to projects
Share your story
If you’ve completed a project and would like to share your story, we’d love to hear it! Please fill out this simple form.
Meeting Dates 2021
9 June (closing date for full applications: 12 May)
1 September (2 August)
4 November (7 October)
Sylvanus Lysons Trust’s meetings will be held on 25 June and 19 November 2021.
In March 2021, Covid related funding was awarded to iSingPop and The Worship Foundation to support them with their running costs during the challenges of lockdown and the impact this had on their revenue streams.
Please contact the Secretary for further information about these and other applications.
Members of the Committee
- Bishop of Tewkesbury
- Chair of Resources Committee
- Craig Bishop (Bishop’s Council)
- Michael Storey (Bishop’s Council)
- Bea Erskine
- David Lynch
- Jane Williams
The Director of the Department of Mission and Ministry will be in attendance.
The Archdeacons, Diocesan Secretary and other officers will be invited to attend when required.
There is currently one vacancy for a member of Bishop’s Council.
Other funding opportunities and useful links
There are some alternative way of funding posts that might meet the criteria for an apprenticeship – take a look at the information below to see if apprenticeship funding might be suitable for you:
www.acf.org.uk – Association of Charitable foundations
www.glosvcsalliance.org.uk – Voluntary and Community Sectors
www.dsc.org.uk – Directory for Social Change
www.grantnav.threesixtygiving.org/ – App to help you find funders
https://calendar.glosvcsalliance.org.uk/calendarhttps://www.inspiringimpact.org/ – free guidance on planning your project, using data to increase the impact of your project, creating a culture that embraces learning
https://www.startandgrowenterprise.uk/ – support for start-ups and new entrepreneurs in Gloucestershire
http://www.glosvcsalliance.org.uk/training-newsletter/ – training opportunities